Proper visual habits
- Sit with your back straight and feet flat on the floor.
- When writing, do not rest your head on your hand or opposite arm.
- Blink consciously when you look closely. If your eyes feel tired, blink more slowly and deliberately.
- Look into the distance as far as you can from time to time to relax the eye muscles. Move your focus from a distant object to another one closer by several times to exercise your eye muscles.
- To read, do it under sunlight or, when not possible, with very good lighting. Look away every 10 minutes for a few seconds.
- If you notice much eyestrain, cover your closed eyes with cupped hands. Do this for two minutes and you’ll notice a huge relief.
- When you watch attentively, do not focus only on what you are watching. Be aware of everything around you. For example, while watching television or computer screen.
- When using the computer, take the following precautions:
- Blink frequently, ensuring that the upper eyelid reaches out to touch the bottom. The best blink is slow, looking away into the distance occasionally.
- If possible, get up every 20 minutes and look out the window for a minute.
- Use a screen filter to protect against radiation.
- Turn down the brightness of the monitor as much as possible.
- Configure the operating system and Internet browser to display a dark background and light letters.
- Splash your eyes with water frequently if spending a long time at the computer in order to discharge the positive voltage that your eyes are accumulating. You can also use artificial tears (eye drops).
- If you can, open the window while using the computer, since otherwise the atmosphere becomes charged with positive ions, which are harmful on the eyes and for your health.
- Note the relative motion of objects and three dimensions. When one moves, everything moves. The sensations of motion and depth are perceived by the retina. But in the retina, there are only shapes and colors. The names and symbols are put there by the mind, adding stress.
- The eyes need rest. Try to sleep at least 8 hours a day. 90% of the things we do are done using the eyes: take care of your eyes, and they will look after you.